Skip to content
How Long Should Canned Food be Kept?
- How Long Should Canned Food be Kept?
- Store canned foods and other shelf stable products in a cool, dry place.
- Never put them above the stove, under the sink, in a damp garage or basement, or any place exposed to high or low temperature extremes.
- Store high acid foods, such as tomatoes and other fruit, up to 18 months.
- Low acid foods such as meat and vegetables can be kept 2 to 5 years.
- While extremely rare, a toxin produced by Clostridium botulinum is the worst danger in canned foods.
- NEVER USE food from containers that show signs of “botulism”, leaking, bulging, rusting or badly dented cans; cracked jars, jars with loose or bulging lids; canned food with a foul odor or any container that spurts liquid when opening. DO NOT TASTE THE FOOD! Even the tiniest amount of botulinum toxin can be deadly.